Smoothies are quite popular and you can grab one on the go just about anywhere. You can purchase fresh ones or ones that are in a bottle at many coffee shops and grocery stores. But do you know what’s in that smoothie? Sometimes they are loaded with sugar and other unhealthy ingredients. Sometimes, they are loaded with fruits and veggies, but you will still need to pay attention to the other ingredients. You may think you are eating (or drinking) something that’s healthy, but it’s loaded with empty calories. Always read nutrition labels and ingredient lists.
If you have the time, it’s a great idea to make smoothies on your own that way you know exactly what is in your smoothie.
Tips on making your own smoothies at home:
- Start with some fresh or frozen fruit. I like to use frozen so then I don’t have to use ice which will make the smoothie watered down. 1 cup of your favorite fruit is a great amount that will give you the energy you need for the day.
- Wanting to up your daily veggie intake? Throw in some leaves of spinach, kale, or whatever leafy green veggie you have on hand. If you don’t want to taste the “earthiness”, spinach would be a safe choice.
- Add some creaminess to the mixture by adding 1 tablespoon of your favorite nut butter or 1 cup of your fave milk. You could also add a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter powder if aren’t a fan of nut butters. This will also add protein to your smoothie! Protein is vital in helping you feel full longer!
If you want to increase your protein at breakfast, you can add a scoop of your favorite protein powder. You can totally make this smoothie whatever you want it to be. By following the 3 steps of creating your own smoothie at home, you will have a healthy alternative to the store bought ones!
Benefits of drinking smoothies
- Increased fiber intake
- May reduce inflammation
- Helps improve digestion
- Lowers risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease or obesity
- Supports the immune system
For a great recipe to go with the pumpkin season, try this one:
For more great recipes like this one, check out my meal plans. I’m sure we have a plan that will work for you! If you are unsure which plan, book a call with me and we can discuss the different plans that are available.
To join my mailing list to receive free recipes and nutrition tips, click here. You will also receive a free gift just for signing up!